Shah Rukh Khan, who had to deliver a lecture to students of the University of Edinburgh, UK where he has been conferred with a doctorate from the University is elated as ‘he has become ‘a doctor all over again’
Not that you need another reason to love Shahrukh Khan but here’s top 10 quotes from his speech:
1. There’s no such thing as ‘normal’. That’s just another word for lifeless. Madness (of the particularly nice/romantic kind) is an absolute prerequisite to a happy and successful life. Don’t ever treat your little insanities as if they are aberrations that ought to be hidden from the rest of the world. All the most beautiful people in the world, the most creative, the ones who led revolutions, who discovered and invented things, did so because they embraced their own idiosyncrasies.
2. Being brave means being shit scared all the way to the party but getting there and doing the ‘Funky Chicken’ in front of all your teenage kid’s friends anyway. Don’t let your fears become boxes that enclose you. Open them out, feel them and turn them into the greatest courage you are capable of. I promise you, nothing will go wrong. But if you live by your fears, everything that can possibly go wrong will go wrong and you won’t even have done the ‘Funky Chicken’.
3. Art is more important than the artist – have no attachment to your own art – it’s regressive, move on.
4. It’s OK to be confused. Confusion is the route to all the clarity in the world.
5. Chak De India taught me that whatever it is that is pulling you back, its not going away unless you stand up and start forging your own path with all your might in the opposite direction. Stop whining and Don’t become a philosopher before you become rich.
6.If you aren’t charged up about doing something, if you don’t have what in Hindi we call the “Josh”, the fire in your belly for it, then don’t do it.
7. start moving.
8. Study hard. Work hard. Play harder. Don’t be bound by rules, don’t hurt anybody and never ever live somebody else’s dream.
9. Hindi filmon ki tarah life mein bhi, anth mein sab kuch theek ho jaata hai. Aur agar na ho, toh woh anth nahi hai…picture abhi baaki hai mere doston.
10. Live now, live today -don’t be bound by rules, live your own dream.
Known for the gift of the gap he mesmerized the audience and what wowed everyone was when he got the professors to shake a leg to his “lungi dance” from the film Chennai Express. Watch it and fall in love with him all over again.